SEAT OF THE HIGH COURT
PERMANENT SEAT AND OTHER PLACES OF SITTING OF THE HIGH COURT
Sub-section (1) of Section 44-C of the Interim Constitution prescribes that the permanent seat of the High Court shall be at Muzaffarabad and sub-section (2) prescribes that the High Court may, from time to time, sit at such other places as the Chief Justice of the High Court, with the approval of the President, may appoint.
In exercise of the powers under sub-section (2) of Section 44-C, the High Court has, with the approval of the President, notified Mirpur, Rawalakot and Kotli as other places of sitting of the High Court. These are commonly known as Circuit Benches of the High Court.
A bench of the High Court at Mirpur was, for the first time, set up vide Council Order No.64/56 dated 22-1-1956.
The circuit bench of the High Court was set up at Rawalakot vide order of the High Court dated 11-4-1961, but was temporarily stopped under the instructions of the government and again started on 23-1-1964.
A circuit bench of the High Court was started at Kotli vide Govt. Notification dated 29-1-1979. There was no separate building for it and when the Hon Judges of the High Court were on tour, they used to sit in the Court rooms of District Judge as well as in the rooms of Civil and Senior Civil Judges for which the function of the subordinate judiciary was affected. The govt. transferred the building of Custodian Department’s Rest house to the High Court where the High Court functions now.